Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Writing Endeavors: Revise 'til you Bleed!

I am revising a novel I completed. It deals with the non-relationship between father and son. I have been told it’s a great story with wonderfully laid out dialogue, but (here it comes) it still needs

-more emotional conflict in order for readers to turn the page
-the son needs more drive
-the father is too passive
-family drama is not what sells
-and so on

My concern is whether I should adhere to these suggestions or keep writing my way? I don’t want to write about a stereotypical teenager or absent father who can’t relate to each other. I want to write a story that entertains. I want to write the story I started with. Is that possible?

Yes, it is.

The more feedback I receive from other writers and friends, the more the story grows into this massive challenge to get the right words down; to keep the reader engaged, asking questions, interested, and better yet, loving every minute.

It also forces me as a writer to dive into my novel and pluck out everything that’s slowing the action down and affix moments that will cradle it. So, if you find yourself with a challenge like this, know that it comes with the territory.
 
The more you write, the better you get. The old adage: Practice! Practice! Practice! Still holds true.

No comments:

Post a Comment