Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Writing Endeavors 2: Keep your Head Up and you'll Survive


On a previous post, I mentioned I was writing a novel about the relationship between father and son. Through this experience, I have found myself writing other stories. Some will be for novels (I have two so far); some will be short stories; and others from writing exercises or miscellaneous purposes.

Writing has taught me about perseverance. You have to be willing to put in the time for writing. It’s like everything else you do. If you don’t put the effort, the job will not get done to your or anyone else’s satisfaction.

In order to keep track of all the different writing I do, I make a note of what needs to be completed first and what needs to be done before a certain date (or before I sink in quicksand). Sometimes, giving myself a deadline works. At other times, saying I’m going to write a sentence or a paragraph helps.

If I find I can’t finish a chapter or my goal, I don’t beat myself up about it. I look at what I have accomplished and see it as a mile closer to my goal. The important thing is to enjoy writing. Enjoying it will help you keep writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment