Monday, October 7, 2013

Quote 3


“The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn’t being said.”
by Peter Drucker

This quote got me thinking about writing details. In writing, you have to SHOW a lot of what’s going on in a scene. This way, the reader can picture the images in their head. Of course, you shouldn’t go overboard and describe everything in great detail. You have to be selective. For example,

The dog ate.

The brown dog ate.

The brown dog ate fast.

The brown dog ate carrots fast.

The chestnut brown dog ate extremely fast.

The chestnut brown dog ate carrots extremely fast.

As you can see (besides it being pretty mediocre), I begin to add way too many adjectives and adverbs that aren’t necessary to the sentence or to what’s going on.

Always add details that serve a PURPOSE to the story. If my story is about the neighbor’s dog during dinner, then I have to decide what’s important to the scene and for the reader to know.

Being selective comes in handy when editing your writing. I know I’m finding it a little difficult. You tend to love what you write, but a good friend told me: “You gotta kill your darlings.”

No comments:

Post a Comment