Monday, November 11, 2013

Quote 4


“In time of difficulties, we must not lose sight of our achievements.”
by Mao Tse-tung
 

The Holidays are quick approaching and one usually starts to think about what has been accomplished in the year.

There are many things we have done to make the year worthwhile, and there are many people that have tagged along with us to make us smile. But when it comes down to it, we tend to focus on the things we didn’t get done or don’t have. I’m guilty of this thought, too.

I look at the two novels I’m working on and ask myself, why haven’t I finished? Why haven’t I landed an agent? Why are there still chapters to edit? And I have to stop myself from pulling my hair and look at what Mao Tse-tung said: how many people can say they completed two novels and are editing them? How many poems have I written this year? Is my family well? Do I have a place to rest my head? Is my car still ticking?

Instead of dwelling on the negative, let’s come up with a plan to continue building on those small achievements that make our trek to become an author, etc. appealing. I’ve started a list for myself:

-be consistent

-be patient

-reward yourself for any little step closer to your goal

-and exercise your mind and body (really trying on this one!)

Go ahead, stop looking at the broken plate, or chipped nail (or whatever it might be), and start celebrating those little steps!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment