Monday, January 27, 2014

Quote 6

“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”
by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry


Wishing for something is different from wanting to reach a goal.

Wishing is like dreaming without providing any action to attain it, whereas the goal deals with motivation and a desire to succeed. 

For example, “I wish for a nice birthday.” This doesn’t really tell you how it will happen. In other words, you need to be a little specific.

Consider the following: “I am going to make my birthday a nice event by doing x and x.” Those x’s will help make the goal a success.

If you apply this kind of thinking to writing (or any type of work), you will see that you’re more motivated to get it done.

I, for one, have set a goal to complete my outline for my Young Adult novel and to write the thriller novel that’s been brewing in my head. I will do this by writing at least for one hour a day. The second hour will be for the outline, and any additional time will be set for online activities.

I didn’t ask myself for much, but enough to get me wanting to do it so I could reach my goal.

The reward is a great feeling you’ve been productive. Then again, a nice scoop of my favorite ice cream wouldn’t hurt.

So far, making a goal has helped me achieve a complete edit for my Young Adult novel, write thirty new poems, and allow time for reading. Maybe it can help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment