Monday, September 22, 2014

Quote 10

Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference.
-Jane Goodall

When I arrive to work, I think about how important it is to treat others respectfully, how everyone is important and has something of benefit to share.

Though, at times, we may find ourselves working with an individual who might make it difficult to acknowledge any of our input, we should behave in a well-mannered way.

Yet, when I get home and sit myself down to write, I know the characters I write are individuals, too. They matter as much as the people we come in contact with everyday do.

Our quest as a writer is to find what role each character plays in our stories. What kind of a difference do they make for our protagonist’s goals? What will they share? How do they behave? Where do they fit in the overall plot? How do they relate to each other?

Many more questions might enter your mind when creating these individuals. In a way, they come to life for us and help build a world.


After all, stories are a reflection of the world we inhabit. So, why not think of them as real?

No comments:

Post a Comment