Monday, October 27, 2014

Short Stories & Such 14: Halloween Revenge

Here is my attempt at writing the prompt about a Halloween Revenge. I thought it might be interesting to just get in the character’s head and describe what she wants to do and limit the dialogue.

Halloween Revenge

The kids in the neighborhood don't realize that this year's fiasco is not going to happen. 

Every year, they cover my house with toilet paper sashes on Halloween Night, but this year, it's my turn. I'll just add some traps around the house where they usually trample through silently and it will all be over… for good.

My little scheme will probably wake up the neighborhood. I think it's worth the effort. Each trap is different, you see. One trap is filled with special glue. The other filled with tar. The other is filled with shards of glass-- 

Oh, I'm not being mean about this. It will be tedious to discover the sashes the next morning and clean it up when all you want to do is head for a brisk walk, but…

Not this time.

I just have to wait for them to show up. I'll sit here in the dark drinking my hot chocolate. I won't make a peep. Wait! I hear something outside; a rustling around the bushes. A scream! No, many screams! A-ha! I've got them now. Let's see what we find those kids in.

"Help us please."

I can't believe it! The nuances were not a bunch of scrawny kids, but the old seniors from the Community Center down the block!



This was originally posted onto Writer’s Digest prompts on October 26, 2011 under the name Chilo:

(see October 25, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment