Monday, February 23, 2015

Quote 12


Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.

-William James 

When I go substitute teach, I ask myself myriad times why I do what I do, and I come back to this quote.

If I didn’t believe I made a difference, why bother showing up? I mean, where’s the reward? Then, I look into the eyes of that one student whose life I touched, and I know that what I do makes a difference.

What about my writing?
I take the above quote into my writing life, too.

If I didn’t believe anyone was reading my blog posts, why did I continue doing them?
And if I didn’t write to entertain someone somewhere, why bother?

Yes, I write because I like to, but would it make a difference…somewhere or to someone? Good or bad?

When I read books, I take something from them. I believe this is true for all readers. Whether it be a feeling, knowledge, or other; the writing has made a difference in my thinking.

Thank you to all the readers out there for sharing this moment (blog) with me and for helping me make that bit of difference. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment