Monday, June 22, 2015

Short Stories & Such 19: Secret Passageway

Secret Passageway

Moving isn’t my favorite thing in the world to do, especially when I’ve done it since I was a kid. The one thing I hate most of all is moving is that there’s always something that needs fixing or other. Okay, so I’m a glutton with my wife, but this time I didn’t need my arm twisted. We were going to be far FAR away from her mother.

Now, let’s see. I think Honey said to use one coat of paint for the beams and two coats for the wall. I forget. If only this crack would paint itself, I would be in the home stretch. Wait a minute. This painting is just seeping through this crack. What’s going on? There’s a light emanating from the crack.

“Unbelievable.”

I’ll need to explore further… Oh, oh, the crack widened with my touch. It seems to be a secret passageway… or just my doom. Just kidding. I have no idea where it could lead. I’ll just break through and sure enough, spider webs and the smell of ancient wood are doing a flip flop on my nose.

Just when I sneezed my last, the light grew brighter and my arms felt the sting of its rays. I reach for the wall closest to me on my left and fall into a manhole. Could this house have been built on a sinkhole? My heart raced as the twister I was in continued. I missed my wife and my car… Then, my insides did a somersault and my legs hit something hard like wood.

“What are you doing Noe?”

I sensed the end of a mop poking me, so I opened my eyes.

“Welcome back to earth, dear.”

 

If you’re interested in the comments or the first draft, check out the Writing Prompt at:

(see under April 10-11, 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment