Monday, July 6, 2015

Quote 14

“If we all did things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.”
-Thomas Edison 

Recently, I read that a particular school was teaching students from kindergarten on up to learn binary code in order to prepare them for jobs in technology in the future.

It reminded me of how the government gave a lot of money to science and math programs after we landed on the moon.

Then, I read a quote like this and I think: hmm, do all children want to learn binary? Do all children want to go into high paying jobs? Do all children know what they want to do at that age? What is removed from the curriculum if we teach binary?

Yes, people should be allowed to make their own choices and providing experiences will help, but it shouldn’t be the ONLY alternative.

Some people need motivation and others don’t. Some people want to try different things.

Like Edison said, we can do anything we put our minds to and when we succeed in them, we feel pride and joy. I want to think I’m a capable writer and as I complete my novel, I can honestly look back and smile at what I accomplished. It’s like that with different things. I don’t have to be stuck doing one thing, I could have multiple talents. What’s important is to do them well =)

No comments:

Post a Comment