Monday, August 31, 2015

Writer’s Workshop 13: Dialoguing Stories

In one workshop, we had to use only dialogue to write a scene. It’s actually a good exercise if you’re trying to differentiate the voice of your characters.

I’ve used this technique in some of my writing. I write the dialogue and, then, I add the description. It helps when you’re pressed for time and want to get the story down, too.

Try it and see what you get.

Prompt- Have two people talking to each other about something that’s bothering them or other issue without adding facial expressions or descriptions. The idea is to get their voices to guide the reader to what’s going on.

Here’s my attempt:

 

“I’m glad I caught you.”

“I can’t talk right now.”

“Don’t give me that.”

Silence.

“You and I both know why you’ve been avoiding me.”

“That’s not true.”

“Then, explain to me why you don’t return my phone calls?”

“I…”

“When I congratulated you on your birthday, I didn’t even get a ‘Thank you’ or happy face texted back.”

Silence.

“Are you still there?”

“That’s not fair…”

“You bet it isn’t…We both know why you’ve been doing this and why, you, all of a sudden, got pregnant by your husband.”

“I have to go.”

“You’re in love with me.”

“Stop it.”

“That’s why you stopped seeing me, calling me… you name it.”

“You’re crazy.”

“Am I? Then why can’t you stand being in the same room as me? I mean, you used to make it a point to hang out with me almost every weekend. You said you couldn’t get enough. You said you loved me.”

“Stop it! I love my husband.”

“Do you? Because last time we spoke, you couldn’t remember his name. Why don’t you stop pretending and admit it?”

“I love my husband.”

“Admit it.”

“I can’t… I’m gonna have another baby. Little Christopher’s four now, and he can’t be around you.”

“What!?! Don’t you dare—”

Click.

 
 

BTW got my poem, Before my Commute, published in the San Gabriel Valley Poetry Quarterly, Summer Issue 67 (psst… you have to scroll almost all the way down to read it=))

No comments:

Post a Comment