Monday, October 26, 2015

Why I Write 9: Just Write

I write because I must. Simple as that. I wanted to provide a more definite answer, but what it comes down to is whether I enjoy writing. Do I see myself making tons of money from all the hours I spend writing? I don’t know. Everyone wants to feel secure for the future, but I’m not going to gloat and say I’m a great writer when writing is really a craft that matures as we practice it.

I come from a background in teaching and I know how important it is to practice what you preach… to put your foot down and learn from the years prior to make the following one better. It’s a never-ending cycle to keep honing those skills necessary to do the job well. Writing is the same. You have to keep at it in order to reap the benefits. Sometimes, it takes a long time to feel those benefits, but they’re going to be there as long as we persevere.

So, let’s take some time from our busy schedules and write… write about that woman in the store… write about that man in his orange cruiser… write about the mosquitos attacking us… just write.

No comments:

Post a Comment