Monday, December 5, 2016

Quote 22

“Besides love and sympathy, animals exhibit other qualities connected with the social instincts which in us would be called moral.”
-Charles Darwin


When I ran into this quote, I started thinking about how animals give positive feelings. They’re all about the moment and the next activity. They don’t hold grudges or bad mouth you for forgetting their snack. They love and love and love.
I’ve seen it with my pets. If they find me hurt, they lean into me and lick my hand to sympathize. If I forget to open the gate or take out their blanket, they nudge me to remind me and then they get a belly rub. They don’t ask for much. 
Notice that I used the word ‘forget’ a couple of times. That’s because I’m a writer. And what do writers do but sit and write and read. I’m grateful for their understanding. 
That’s why this Holiday season, I want to make sure I return the myriad gestures that would make them happy.
So, don’t forget your pets. Return the love and be as patient as they are. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment